MONDAY, July 26, 2021 (HealthDay Information) — Unintended publicity to fentanyl ache patches is placing kids’s lives in danger, the U.S. Meals and Drug Administration warns.
Fentanyl is a strong opioid ache reliever; so highly effective that fentanyl patches are sometimes solely prescribed to sufferers who require round the clock, long-term pain reduction, similar to cancer sufferers. They’re typically changed each three days.
Children can overdose on new or used fentanyl patches by placing them of their mouth or on their pores and skin. This drug can sluggish respiration and reduce ranges of oxygen in a baby’s blood, doubtlessly inflicting loss of life.
The FDA is asking on dad and mom and caregivers to ensure these patches are saved, used and disposed of correctly. The company affords the following pointers:
- Hold fentanyl patches and different medicine in a safe location out of kids’s sight and attain. Little ones might imagine a prescription patch is a sticker, tattoo or bandage.
- Cowl the fentanyl patch with a clear adhesive movie or apply first assist tape across the edges to safe it to your pores and skin.
- All through the day, verify that the patch continues to be in place and safe.
- Once you apply a brand new patch, instantly get rid of the used one correctly.
Needless to say indifferent patch might get caught on a baby when an grownup holds them or sleeps with them.
For those who use fentanyl patches or different prescription opioids, ask your well being care supplier about acquiring naloxone, a drug used to reverse an overdose. Naloxone could be given to anybody, together with children, who might have been uncovered to a fentanyl patch, the FDA says.
For those who suspect that a youngster has been uncovered to a fentanyl patch, name 911 and search emergency medical assist instantly — even in the event you administer naloxone.
Needless to say early indicators of publicity in younger kids could be onerous to identify. Drowsiness is amongst them, but it surely could possibly be misinterpreted as routine fatigue or sleepiness. Different indicators that the kid might have been uncovered to fentanyl embody:
- Trouble breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- Excessive physique temperature
- Stiff muscle mass.
The U.S. Nationwide Library of Medication has extra on fentanyl patches.
SOURCE: U.S. Meals and Drug Administration, information launch